Okay, so I actually made a story outline of this nightmarish dream I had because I actually what to turn it into a short horror/ sci-fi story. The names are all made up — in the dream they were people based off of myself and some of my friends (they were us but not us, if that makes any sense! I see everything from Emma’s POV.)
It’s a zombie-esque plague with the resulting monsters looking like a mash between District 9 aliens (the roach-like appearance) and something out of Junji Ito’s manga.
Anything in bold is added for narrative, so it will actually flow more for a story. Everything else is from the old noggin’.
- 100ish year in the future
- A.I.M.I. (Artificial Intelligence Management Instrument) Everyone has one. Part of a large (societal?) system that all interact with each other
- 5 friends: Emma, Brynna, Ryan, Renee, and Arnett
- High School
- Crossing the street scene – A.I.M.I. refuses direct transport for non-emergency. (Street lights out for repairs) Emma waits for A.I.M.I.’s word in order to cross the busy 4 lane business highway. But before she can cross, she sees a man slowly making his way down the road. Appears to be in pain. She sees him fall and rushes over to him. The man has fallen to his knees and is making retching sounds. Emma asks if he is alright, but now sees that the ground below him is splattered with blood and teeth. A.I.M.I. gives her a warning signal, and Emma backs up. Guy looks up at her. His mouth is contorted and large. All of his teeth are missing, and out of the top gums are 2 black, pincer-like protrusions,and his tongue is now a long, black slimy rope that snakes down his throat. His mouth is bloody and dripping. He makes a weird hissing noise. A.I.M.I sets emergency protocol, and Emma is transported back home.
- Emma tries to explain what she saw to her parents. A.I.M.I plays it down as a stranger who had gotten into an altercation. Says there is no captured footage of the man in her system. When Emma confronts in private. A.I.M.I. she is unable to share “blocked” information.
- Emma keeps an eye out newsfeeds — no reports of the terrifying man.
- Emma explains to her friends. Friends try to reassure her.
- They notice a girl in their class is acting strange. Seems lethargic, but her eyes are shiny and appear VERY observant.
- Emma sees more and more street people acting strange. One girl slightly older than them is crying on the curb. All A.I.M.I.s redirect their routes.
- Whatever it is seems to have gathered the attention of everyone in the school despite the lack of news reports. Kids whisper about sick homeless people and bizarre behavior of local shops and law enforcement. Even the teachers seem on edge.
- Brit is late for school the next day. Claims to feel a little sick, but does not go into detail.
- Friends try to continue normal activities, but feel a sense of foreboding.
- Group is walking home. Brit is still sick and appears to be getting worse. Her A.I.M.I. is gone —supposedly for repairs. The group encounters another group of people roaming together several yards away. They are moving strangely and though they can’t make out too much detail, they can tell that their mouths seem to be far too large. Group begs A.I.M.Is to transport them to Ryan’s apartment – so they can be together. (Fear. Parents either working or not reliable, Ryan live in his own apartment. )
- A.I.M.I’s refuse and recalculate their route.
- They are jumped by the strange girl at school, who is now a monsterous form of herself. Arnett hit the thing with his lacrosse stick, knocking her back. A.I.M.I.’s begin to set emergency protocol, but the girl spits at them as they are being transported.
- Greenish acidic liquid burns Renee and Ryan, some lands on Emma’s coat, which she quickly removes when they land. It burns Renee and Ryan’s skin.
- They are transported into what appears to be a hotel room.
- The bang on the door to the hall. It’s locked from the outside. A male voice speaks from the other side of the door that they are in quarantine. Brit coughs and vomits blood and a couple teeth.
- Arnett and Emma hole themselves up in the bathroom as their friends scream and cry in pain. (Acid works far faster that coming into contact with contaminated blood.)
- Realizing that they will probably never be saved, they choose to leave the bathroom to become one of the monsters — at least they will be with their friends.
Rating: 10/10. I did not really see this as a nightmare, but as an intense story that flowed really well for a dream — I really only had to add adults to the narrative, since my dream was unusually absent of them. Really creepy but loads of fun.